Sunday, September 19, 2010

Laptops in the classroom?

After reading "'You Won't Be Needing Your Laptops Today': Wired Bodies in the Wireless Classroom" by Kevin M. Leander for this weeks reading I reflected my own education over the years and how technology has helped or hindered me in the classroom.

Being older than the typical student does take me wa
y back to the stone age when it comes to discussing my K-12 education. In grade and middle school the technologies used were simple, in K-8 there was not even a copy machine as we know it today. Teachers used what was called a "ditto machine" and they used "ditto paper." If you have never heard of "dittos" check out this link. Other than "dittos" we had filmstrips, I think it was about 5th grade when the started to include cassette players and that opened a whole new world of filmstrip fun! I also recall special days when the teacher would bring in a movie projector and we would watch, generally an ancient, movie. On really, really special days...they would roll a TV into class and we would watch a live broadcast. Their were no VCRs back then, so you watched live or you did not watch at all.

In high school things began to change a bit, it was the early 80's so technology began to creep into the classroom. In typing class you used an electric typewriter, unless you were bad, then you used a manual. Computer classes were offered; however, they were limited. The two computer labs had a total of 25 computers between the two of them. One lab had two Apples in it, the other had 23 Atari 800 XLs, the monitors for the Atari computers were 13" TV sets. We had a keyboard and a 5 1/4" floppy...that was the extent of the computers. Today, my phone has more computing power than those early PCs I learned on 25 years ago. Once a month in computer class if you finished your assignments you got to use the mainframe to play games. You would take the handset off of the phone and put the whole thing into the modem. You would type your commands into a keyboard, and watch them print on a printer. There was no monitor...we actually thought it was fun. While I was learning basic computing skills, I was also learning how to use a printing press, yes, a printing press. I can set type. Not a skill you really hear about these days.

In my first attempt at college...I had a desktop, it was not
not powerful enough to do anything more than write papers. Technology though was prevalent throughout the school, this was in the early 90's and a technological revolution had happened while after high school and while I was in the military. Computers were everywhere in the school...drafting classes had been replaced with classes on AutoCad, I had to take a course on Word Perfect.

My second attempt at college 10 years later...was online...I had both a desktop and a laptop, I was working towards a degree in Information Technology. So Technology was at the forefront of my education.

Recently I had the chance to
go back to my Alma mater for a tour as a part of my 25th class reunion...

This photo was the computer lab that only had two Apple computers in it when I attended.


That printing press I mentioned...it sat next to the windows in this room. You can see what has replaced it...I did have to laugh though, you cannot see it in this photo, but the floor, is still stained from the ink from all the years the printing press was in this room.
Should laptops be in the classroom? I honestly do not know the answer that question. I know that I find the having the Internet available to me at all times...is a bit of a distraction. While writing this blog I have checked out facebook multiple times, shopped for a new camera and sent several e-mails. I cannot imagine how distracting it would be to have all of that available at my fingertips during a long boring lecture an Macro-economics. I also cannot see concentrating on the lecture to the sound of multiple people typing loudly (Some people type louder than others). When you throw in security and privacy issues, it becomes an even greater dilemma...what do you block, what do you allow...how do you balance a students right to freedom of expression with that same students safety.


7 comments:

  1. Mark,

    Thank you for sharing! I loved reading how your school has changed and adopted technology.

    Specifically regarding laptops in the classroom, I think your ability to concentrate on the task at hand is a personal responsibility. Students at the post-secondary level are accountable for their own education and should take charge of the time they spend online on non-school related tasks (both in class and outside of class).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark:

    Great points on how technology has changed. Probably just me, you and George can relate to the ditto machine. The rest just might be too young. You forgot to mention the inevitable purple floor stain under the machine from spilled mimeograph ink! The major technological breakthrough after this for me was the IBM Selectric typewriter. I remember holding one of those type balls just mesmerized. The first "personal" computer I saw was just before I graduated from Stout in 1981. A buddy was fooling around with a TRS 80. It was about the size of a paperback book with a 24 character LCD strip for a display and had 80kB of total memory. Incredible.

    Good points about laptops in the classroom. At MATC when we go into my writing lab to work on assignments, since the computers are able to access the internet, I'm constantly walking up behind students and they're fooling around on Facebook or You Tube. So you're right, having laptops in the classroom, if they can connect to the internet, can be a source of distraction - and a challenge for instructors!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, I liked how you ended, "How do you balance a students right to freedom of expression with that same students safety."

    As an instructor, I often struggle with this dilemma.

    Claire posted an article that helped me think through this issue more. Check it out.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-a-howard/laptops-in-the-classroom_b_516434.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems like a lot of great info for your tech literacy narrative! Thanks for sharing it, although I might like more specifics about the assigned article in the conclusion to bring things full circle.

    Also, i noticed that you posted a response to the Hawisher early and this on 9/19 when it wasn't due til the 26, but did you skip a set of readings? The Social Media Release/Learning w/Weblogs pairing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have accidentally skipped a reading...between this class, my other class and reading for the GA position I may have gotten a little lost as to what I was supposed to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem, big fella. We'll do our best to keep up with you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to make sure...I'm fine with folks reading ahead though.

    ReplyDelete