Thursday, October 27, 2011

I am richer than the 1%

Yes, you read that title right, I am richer that the 1%. You may be asking yourself how a guy who is a single parent and is eking out a living is richer that the 1%; especially when I owe money on my house have student loans out the wazzoo and will probably never have enough money saved up to retire.

Well, the answer is really quite simple and I would not trade it away for all of the money in the world. I am richer than the 1% because:

  1. I get to see my son play football every Saturday morning during football season.
  2. I get to see my son play his guitar on stage at local music venues as a part of the “Student Jam.”
  3. I was able to be with my mom for her last days with us.
  4. I am able to chase my dream of becoming a professional writer.
  5. After fourteen years I have moved down to #29,482 on the Green Bay Packers season ticket waiting list.
  6. I am healthy
  7. I was able to go to my last living Uncle’s 90th birthday party.
  8. I get to play rhythm guitar to my son’s lead guitar.
  9. I have good friends that would do anything for me and I would do anything for them.
  10. I am dating the most wonderful, loving, caring woman on the planet. (Who puts up with me).
  11. I had the opportunity to hear stories of the Great Depression from my mom and dad.
  12. I had a great PUBLIC education.
  13. I had the opportunity to serve my country and see the world while doing it during peace time.
  14. I live in a state where the people stood up and are standing up to tyranny.
  15. I do not live my life in the pursuit of wealth.

There is more, but these are just some of the reasons that I and many of you reading this are richer that the 1%. They may have the wealth; however, we have something many in the 1% can never have – true happiness and contentment.

I am satisfied with my life – I never have to worry if I can sleep at night because of something I did or did not do. I don’t have to lie, cheat or steal to get ahead in life. I am raising my son with the values that my parents instilled in me, to do the right thing even if it is not in your own best interests. To treat everyone, regardless of color, ethnicity, religion, social status, etc., the same – with kindness and respect. To never look down on someone, always lend a hand to those who cannot help themselves and to follow your passion in life. That is the secret to being richer than the 1% - Yes, money could make my life one hell of a lot easier – but would it really make me any happier?

Now don't get me wrong I have a good friend who is in the 1% and would give you the shirt off of his back to help you, the point that I am trying to make here is that money is not the root of happiness. Being a good person is the root to happiness and being rich. One does not need wealth to be rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment