Friday, July 15, 2011

Shooting ourselves in the foot…

Today on my facebook page I came across an article posted by the Progressive Change Campaign Committee titled “Liberal group threatens to pull Obama support.”
Now I will be the first to admit that I am disappointed with our President, the one who gave us so much hope in 2008 – I expected so much more out of him and the democratic majority in both houses. Many of those hopes were dashed by Blue Dogs in the house and a dysfunctional Senate. In 2010 those hopes were crushed again by the Republican wave. Had our President been more forceful in the first two years of his term it is possible that the Republican wave would not have happened. Congress was bogged down in the healthcare debate instead of trying to create jobs. After 2010 with a resurgent Republican Party the chances of getting anything through congress went to nil.
Now the President is negotiating with terrorists…I call the Republicans that as I have no other word for what they are doing. Terrorists who want to see our President fail – If our President fails our nation fails. It is that simple. The Republicans are playing the role of the villain and we need our President to stand up to them, not negotiate with them. However, the political realities of today are never that simple. Do I like the idea of the rich getting tax breaks, corporations not paying taxes and the poor and middle classes having to foot the bill? No, I do not. I do not want to see the President negotiate anything away in terms of Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. The political realities are that he may have to in order to prevent the United States from going into default. This is what happens when a fired up, uneducated electorate votes against their best interests, and the progressive base stays home, which is what happened in 2010.
I will support the President even if he does negotiate cuts to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. I will not be happy about those cuts and I will hope that those cuts can be restored in his second term. The risks we run of not supporting the President in 2012 are too horrible to contemplate.  You don’t like the cuts that are being negotiated now…wait and see what happens if a tea party President, and a tea party congress are elected. Think about the big picture…the Supreme Court is also in play in this election. Not supporting the President is a bad idea. If you are a Democrat and you do not support him, you may as well be voting Republican.
I have already ended my relationship with the Progressive Change Campaign Committee…I urge you to so the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment